Monday, December 11, 2006

Direction

Arthus

“Where are we going?” Katraina asked.

“I was just wondering the same thing,” I commented. Sitting down on my spread blankets, I calmly regarded Wren. “So, where are we headed?”

“That depends on Katraina.”

“On me?” Katraina paused briefly from turning the spit to frown at Wren.

Now began the lies. I had seen it often enough among the hunters to know that they would use any means necessary to get their prey. I couldn’t really expect that this strange woman would be any different. Frowning into the fire, I waited for the tale I was to support.

“I am seeking your brother and I need whatever information you can give me.”

I raised my eyebrows and regarded Wren in surprise. This was a new tactic. Then I glanced at Katraina to see how she was going to respond. Her narrow shoulders stiffened and she didn’t meet Wren’s steady gaze. “So you can catch him and bring him back to his death for a bounty?” she asked.

Chapter Five of Wren's tale by Rachel Rossano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home